Many people think of the face when they consider signs of aging. However, signs of aging often become apparent in the neck before the face. As the skin on the neck loses structure and elasticity with age, the result is sagging skin, creases, jowls, or what’s commonly called a “turkey neck.”
If the aging process has significantly changed the appearance of your neck, or if genetic factors have made you unhappy with your neck, the neck lift procedure could work for you. This cosmetic procedure creates a more flattering, youthful neckline to resolve your cosmetic concerns.
What is a Neck Lift?
The neck lift may also be called platysmaplasty. This procedure surgically removes excess skin beneath the jawline and on the neck. The platysma muscle, which runs from the chest to the neck and face, may also be strengthened and/or adjusted during this procedure.
Typically, the neck lift procedure involves multiple techniques to target your unique cosmetic concerns. Depending on your cosmetic goals, Dr. Adams may:
- Utilize liposuction to remove excess fat deposits in the neck
- Tighten the muscles in the neck to eliminate the appearance of horizontal creases in the neck
- Realign the muscles of the neck or remove a portion of the neck muscle to smooth out the neck
- Trim excess skin to tighten the appearance of the neck
- Lift and tighten the soft tissues in the neck
Neck Lift Recovery
After the neck lift procedure, keep your head elevated to reduce inflammation and refrain from excessively moving the neck. Any discomfort, swelling, or bruising from the procedure should go away within the two weeks following the procedure. Once the swelling subsides, you’ll be able to see the new, lifted, and rejuvenated appearance of your neck.